Monday, July 02, 2007

Worrying News

I'm not sure how many of you are aware that I have been having blood tests for a low iron count. Six months ago I had a routine complete blood screening which all came back normal except my iron levels were on the low side. The doctor asked me to try and increase my iron naturally by eating more red meat and green leafy vegetables. After 3 months I went back and my levels had only increased by point something. The doctor then asked me if I was bleeding anywhere. I wasn't apart from normal monthleys that have been getting heavier in the last few years so she put me on iron tablets.

I went back last week for another blood test after being on the iron tablets for 3 months and the levels have dropped from 12 to 9 which is of huge concern especially after being on iron tablets for the last 3 months.

So now we investigate the bleeding internally avenue. To say I am terrified of the worst is an understatement. I have to have a pelvic ultrasound tomorrow and go from there. The most likely cause is fibroids or something girly related. But the last couple of days I have had a continual pain in my left side under my rib cage. It's like very mild contractions that comes and goes, so I'm not sure what that might mean. My sister suggested to google my symptoms, but I am too scared to do that. And that is the only symptom I have and that has only started since Friday. I haven't even felt that tired as you would expect with such a low iron count. No more than a normal working, running a household of 5 people mum.

So I will keep you updated. I am not looking forward to the ultrasound tomorrow. I think it is just fear of the unknown. I am one of these people that always thinks the worst of everything so you can imagine what is going through my mind.

6 comments:

Lisa C said...

ooh, the unknown stuff is always the scariest! I won't say 'don't worry' because I know you will. I will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way xxxx

Tania said...

They say that the fear of the unknown is the biggest fear we have! The ultrasound is the first step in the right direction to finding out what is wrong and what can be done to fix it. I'm thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts for tomorrow.

Kym's Challenge said...

Hey Tina
Thoughts are with you, try not to worry to much (I know easy said). Positive thoughts and at least now they are investigating they can get on top of what ever is causing the low iron.
Kym

The Candid Bandit said...

*hug*

I am sending stacks of positive thoughts in your direction.

Im really glad you have had this monitored through out by a doctor.

*another hug*

Kate said...

Thinking of you Tina... Looks like it was a good night for me to come back and start blogging. *Fingers crossed* for not too distressing results.

*Big hugs*
Kate xx

Jenny Schimak said...

Tina, thinking of you today as you have your ultrasound. I don't know a lot about these kinds of things. But I think sometimes something can be going on in the body that actually restricts your iron absorption. I do know, though, there are many options which aren't as insidious as the ones you are thinking of.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and will keep checking here for an update. I hope that you find out very soon what the problem is. Like a previous poster said, our biggest fear, is the one of the unknown. Take care of yourself Tina.